Hallmark Sponsored Tournament at University Academy Opens DEBATE-KC Season
DEBATE-Kansas City’s (DKC) competitive season began with the Hallmark Sponsored Tournament at University Academy (UA) on Tuesday, October 13th 2015. For the fourth straight year tournament entries grew. Over 160 debaters from twelve different schools competed in either policy debate or student congress. Hallmark began sponsoring the season-opening tournament in 2012 and since that time the tournament has more than tripled in size.
“Hallmark is proud to support this important program and these bright students. The skills they learn in debate, like critical-thinking and creativity, help them get ahead and stay there,” said Cora Storbeck, Vice President of the Hallmark Corporate Foundation.
The entry growth at the Hallmark sponsored season-opener has mirrored overall participation growth in DEBATE-KC’s league. DKC’s high school league in particular has doubled in size over the past three years and membership has now reached 18 area schools. At the Hallmark tournament DKC had more student congress entries than ever before and in policy debate every division – novice, junior varsity and varsity – had a robust number of entries. This is a good sign for the future of the league.
“Demand for debate in Kansas City schools has never been higher. We need more sponsors like Hallmark so we can make sure ever aspiring debater has access to the resources they need to compete and win,” said Gabe Cook, DKC’s Executive Director.
The tournament itself went remarkably smooth. Rounds began on-time and the awards ceremony ended early. Both are rarities at debate tournaments. DKC had robust support from volunteer judges, which was greatly appreciated, and the UA facilities and staff created an excellent atmosphere. Plus, host school University Academy is led by DKC Hall of Fame coach Jane Rinehart, which meant any problem big or small was quickly fixed.
After two rounds DKC compiled results for three division of policy debate and two rooms full room of student congress. Sumner Academy had the best showing and took first place in school sweepstakes by a good number of points. Lincoln Prep and affiliate newcomer Blue Valley Northwest rounded out the top three in team sweepstakes points. The full winners list is below.
University Academy Award Winners
- Junior High, Emily Gamble
- Center High School, Kale Searcy
- University Academy, Alexis Tolbert
- Washington High School, India Conway
- Junior High, Sarah Perdue
- Junior High, Kate Bircher and Sarah Perdue
- Washington High School, Ronasia Simmons and India Conway
- Center High School, Johnny Tancredi and Kale Searcy
- Kauffman School, Maleah Taylor and Asia Abernathy
- University Academy, Alexis Tolbert and Blake Norton
- Lincoln Prep, Anna Crawford
- Blue Valley Northwest, Moneeb Choudhry
- Blue Valley Northwest, Arvind Shankar
- Blue Valley Northwest, Anna Cowden
- Lincoln Prep, Bria Walters
- Blue Valley Northwest, Arvind Shankar and Will Zhuang
- Lincoln Prep, Anna Crawford and Bianca Harvey
- Blue Valley Northwest, Caitlyn Hager and Anna Cowden
- Blue Valley Northwest, Moneeb Choudhry and Neil Ahluwalia
- Lincoln Prep, Bria Walters and Cheyenne Clopton
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Royal Sullivan
- Lincoln Prep, Chebet Bucker
- Wyandotte High School, Gary Bradley-Lopez
- Lincoln Prep, Chebet Bucker and Xochitl Tapia
- University Academy, Brandon Fields
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Royal Sullivan and Michaela Charles
Congress House A
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Suan Sonna
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Michael Franklin
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Koleton Krueger
- Center High School, Eriona Tate
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Jovanna Joyce
Congress House B
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Marley Lowe
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Savannah Miller
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Jasmin Arthur
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, KaeShawn Smith
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science, Jacquelyn Williams
- Sumner Academy of Arts & Science
- Blue Valley Northwest
- University Academy